2016-06-18

Detering Responds to Carrier, Part 2

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

by Neil Godfrey

Click on the image below to be taken to Part 2:

Related Posts on Vridar

Very sad news In memoriam: Dr. Hermann Detering—Pt. 1
Hermann Detering and Robert M. Price René Salm has so far compiled 26 web pages addressing Hermann Detering's "new" argument for Christian origins involving influences from the East: Dr....
Analysis of the McGrath and Carrier debate on a Ba... The latest contest started when James McGrath made a mockery of his understanding of Carrier's mehod: Jesus Mythicism: Two Truths and a Lie I have ...
Hermann Detering on the place of Gnosticism and Bu... Recall a post now six months old: The Gnostic Interpretation of the Exodus and the Beginnings of the Joshua/Jesus Cult — Hermann Detering René Salm...
The following two tabs change content below.

Neil Godfrey

Neil is the author of this post. To read more about Neil, see our About page.

Latest posts by Neil Godfrey (see all)

10 Comments

• FC
    2016-06-19 00:14:11 GMT+0000 - 00:14 | Permalink

I am interested to see what kind of response Carrier will have. It seems that the next field in need of a shakeup are Pauline studies. How many broad sweeping statements have been made about the Pauline corpus with little to no consensus among scholars? (*cough* like the historical Jesus *cough*)

• Neil Godfrey
      2016-06-19 04:00:56 GMT+0000 - 04:00 | Permalink

I have just come from an online interview session with Richard Carrier but unfortunately the combination of lack of structure and less than optimal google hangout connection left me leaving without having raised my questions, which were attempting to zero in on this and related areas of interest among readers of Carrier. But I have emailed copies of the questions to him so hopefully he will respond in due course on his blog.

• Tim Hendrix
        2016-06-19 10:48:14 GMT+0000 - 10:48 | Permalink

When will the video be made public? Its a common problem with hangouts that they can become 4 hours of talk without good moderation, i think the answer is to prepare questions and have a schedule. I am saying this because i hope there will be more 🙂

• Neil Godfrey
          2016-06-19 18:15:21 GMT+0000 - 18:15 | Permalink

I was disappointed in the session. I had expected a controlled meeting where specific issues of concern would be methodically addressed. Not so. I don’t feel comfortable just sharing the same thoughts about us and them. Maybe I am older than them and having shorter to live and more impatient for something new that is constructive and productive.

• 2016-06-20 15:44:10 GMT+0000 - 15:44 | Permalink

I think a lot has to do with the postmodern way of holding meetings (Robert’s Rules of Order are thrown out the window) initiated by the New Left in the 1960. Which means nothing gets done, and if something happens within a group that its “leaders” — read strongest personalities are offended at, the next meeting will quickly degenerate into a circular firing squad.

• 2016-06-20 15:41:22 GMT+0000 - 15:41 | Permalink

“He routinely (and maddingly) does not substantiate his case” for an historical Paul (R. Salm).

I think all Richard Carrier has to go by is scholarly consensus. And I think he instinctively knows that if he were to go against scholarly consensus on Paul, no-one would even hear his arguments for the ahistoricity of Jesus.

• HoosierPoli
      2016-06-21 07:16:53 GMT+0000 - 07:16 | Permalink

Yeah, this doesn’t seem like a fair criticism. Piling on additional questions about long-held orthodoxy would just make his argument more problematic. Better to lay the focus where it belongs and leave other debates for another day.

• Zbykow
    2016-06-20 18:29:27 GMT+0000 - 18:29 | Permalink

The best thing about Carrier’s work is that he takes mainstream assumptions and unlike the mainstream theologians, he draws logical conclusions from them. Even if we can’t be certain these assumptions are valid, his case is a valid what-if scenario.
    Of course there’s a good chance all christian literature is spurious, but then we can’t really tell anything.

I recall he explicitly says in OHJ that he won’t challenge a consensus view if he feels he can’t make a strong enough case against it, even if he doesn’t quite believe it’s valid.

As to the historicity of Paul, I agree it’s of little importance if an actual guy named Paul wrote any of it in the mid first century. What matters is where the epistles belong in the chain of literature.

• Mark Erickson
    2016-06-21 03:39:03 GMT+0000 - 03:39 | Permalink

Still not impressed. I’ve just written a reply comment to Salm over there.

• 2016-06-21 03:51:25 GMT+0000 - 03:51 | Permalink

No fan of Paul Mythicism but that’s a slam dunk response by Detering, Carrier shouldn’t have questioned his credentials.